Application Guidance Notes
Chorlton Arts Festival is one of the leading multi and combined arts festivals in the UK., bringing together a programme of international, national and local work for ten days of energy and excitement in this creative borough of Manchester.
This year’s festival runs from 19-28 May 2017.
Open Call – Take part in Chorlton Arts Festival 2017
Each year, we open up the festival to brand new contemporary work, including:
- Music, theatre, comedy, dance, live arts and performance art
- Talks, films, moving image, digital and literary events
- Exhibitions, installations and other forms of visual arts.
The festival is committed to showing work in both traditional and unexpected spaces, working more across the breadth of Chorlton each year. We also prioritise artists and individuals creating ambitious new work, challenging boundaries, and striving to provide new opportunity and inspiration to both the community and outside visitors.
* We are a not-for-profit festival, which each year is planned and managed by a small and dedicated team, a large group of volunteers and a voluntary Board. We create a limited budget through a combination of arts funding, sponsorship and event revenue, and this covers the cost of bringing the festival to Chorlton each year.
Around 60-70% of our programme is formed via our Open Call. As a not-for-profit organisation we are currently unable to pay fees and/or expenses to the majority of chosen applicants. In certain cases, where a surplus is likely, we will arrange a fair contribution.*
We are open to proposals across all areas of the arts and all types of performance, work, show and exhibition. Whether you are a solo artist, musician, maker, poet, comedian, practitioner or performer or a collective, creative group, community group, established organisation or anything else – we want to hear from you.
For the 2017 edition of Chorlton Arts Festival, we are starting to look at increasing future sustainability of the event and appropriately growing the festival programme. We are looking to focus on some key areas, and invite submissions which share this focus (one or more of these).
Through varied and combined art forms, we are focussing on:
- Showing work in a combination of traditional and unexpected spaces
- In addition to Chorlton-based work, collaborating with individuals, organisations and groups across the arts who are based outside of Chorlton.
- Involving audiences who are the least engaged in the arts.
- Providing dynamic opportunity for skills development, skills sharing and learning for the local community and festival visitors.
Please note, if you have an idea which you feel falls out of these areas, please do still submit. We still encourage open submissions for all, as in previous years.
Please fill in the application form here and submit by the closing date of Monday 6th February 2017 at 12pm. We cannot accept submissions past this date.
Successful applicants will be contacted within 3 weeks of the closing date.
For any questions please contact Isla Brown, Festival Director, on firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, we get a high number of enquiries and will reply to your query as soon as we can.
Thank-you and we look forward to hearing your ideas!